When it comes to having the bathrooms in your home redecorated, it’s crucial for you to enlist the help of professional and licensed bathroom contractors or official remodeling companies. Although there are several individuals and companies that claim to be able to perform this service, homeowners should always check that specific business are in fact licensed to perform this type of work.
Aspects to Look Out For
Before agreeing to let any local bathroom remodelers do work in and around your home, it’s essential to check the following aspects:
- Are they appropriately licensed, bonded and insured? If they don’t have the required insurance, you as the homeowner could be held liable if anything goes wrong while work is being done on your bathroom
- Are they suitably qualified and experienced? Although everyone has to start learning somewhere, any plumbers who are not yet qualified and experienced should only ever be working under close supervision of one who carried the necessary qualifications and experience
- Are they willing to provide references for jobs that they have completed recently? If not, this may indicate that the quality of their work may not be up to standard
- Are there any online or even word of mouth reviews available that rate the quality of their work? If you are only finding negative reviews or customer complaints online when researching local bathroom remodelers, it will be best for you to hire the services of another company instead
- Do they require a large upfront deposit or payment? Although deposit amounts of between 10% and 25% are usually considered fairly reasonable, you should hear warning bells ringing if a 50% or higher upfront payment is being requested before any work commences
- How well do they communicate with you? Do they take calls and respond to emails or text messages, or do you have to repeatedly try to get in touch with them? If they seem difficult to make contact with, rather hire a different team of licensed bathroom contractors
- Are they willing to provide you with a physical printed or written quotation or estimate before getting started? If not, you could be in for a nasty shock once the job has been completed. Always insist on obtaining an official quotation that provides a clear scope of work and list of materials that are going to be used
- How soon can a specific contractor start with remodeling your bathroom? Most good contactors will usually be booked a bit in advance. If a contractor says he can begin right away, this could be an indication that he may not be as well known as other companies in the area or that his workmanship may not be of a good quality
- How well do they listen to your needs and preferences with regards to the bathroom remodeling project? Many unscrupulous contractors will simply want to barge ahead and get the job finished as quickly as possible – without bothering to find out exactly what their client really wants. Ensure that the contractor or company you choose is willing to take your preferences and desires into consideration beforehand
Decide between a Complete Bathroom Remodel and a Basic Fixture Upgrade
When meeting with one or more licensed bathroom contractors, you’ll need to decide whether you’d like them to perform a total remodel of the bathrooms in your home or if you’d just like to have one or more of the main fixtures updated. However, if your home is more than 10 to 15 years old, it is usually best to have a complete remodel performed.
Over time, fixtures such as toilets, sinks, tubs, shower stalls, and faucets will experience general wear and tear that will not only make them look unattractive; it will prevent them from being able to perform as effectively as they did when they were new. Enamel coatings on these fixtures will also become scratched and dull after a while, making them difficult to keep clean.
Choosing the Best Bathroom Fixtures
These days, the wide variety of bathroom fixtures that are available can make choosing the right ones for your remodeling project seem like an overwhelming task. However, keeping a few tips in mind will help make the selection process a lot easier:
- Although the really trendy items may look good right now, they will date very quickly and cause your bathroom to look out of place in no time – rather stick with the more traditional colors and styles where fixtures are concerned
- It can be tempting to purchase the cheapest fixtures you can find – after all, remodeling a bathroom is an expensive exercise. However, many cheap fixtures will not be as durable as their costlier alternatives, meaning that they’ll usually have to replaced within a year or two, negating any saving you may have obtained at the time of purchase. Rather spend a little extra for decent quality fixtures that will last a long time
- Although a little color is usually good, reserve its use for paint instead of on fixtures. Those avocado green toilet pans, sinks and tubs may have been trendy a few decades ago, but they now make a bathroom look very outdated. If you’d like a splash of color in your bathroom, consider painting one wall or even the ceiling. Over time, this will cost a lot less to change than it will be to replace colored fixtures
- While it may be cheaper to purchase plastic bathtubs and shower pans, these will end up looking quite grimy and scratched after a while. It’s best to rather have porcelain or ceramic bathtubs installed, and showers should be tiled to provide a neater and more attractive finish that will also be easier to keep clean
How Long Will a Bathroom Remodel Take?
No two bathroom remodeling projects will ever be the same, so it’s virtually impossible to determine exactly how long a particular bathroom will take to be upgraded. However, the best way to ensure that the process goes as smoothly and efficiently as possible is to hire the services of licensed bathroom contractors or remodeling companies.
Although some local bathroom remodelers will allow their clients to purchase the fixtures they want to have installed, most of them prefer to supply everything that’s needed instead. This not only saves time for the homeowner; it can also be extremely helpful in cases where any form of warranty claim may need to be lodged at a later stage. For example, if a faucet malfunctions or breaks, it will usually have to be returned by an experienced plumber in order for the warranty to be honored.
In cases where a few items are being updated as part of a bathroom remodeling project, the process can take a week or two to complete. However, if all of the fixtures are being replaced and/or relocated elsewhere in the bathroom, the project can take a few weeks or even a month or two to fully complete.
Tips for Maintaining your Newly Renovated Bathroom
Once your bathroom renovation has been completed, it’s important to perform the required care and maintenance regularly, as this will ensure that everything looks good for as long as possible afterward.
The concept of cleaning as you go is the best when it comes to preventing the accumulation of soap scum and mold in and around shower stalls and bathtubs. Ensure that the last person to use the facilities at night uses a squeegee to wipe down the shower door and walls. Bathtubs and sinks should be rinsed after each use and again, the last person to use them should spray them with cleaner once they’re finished.
Always ensure that your bathroom has at least one window that opens to the outside of the property as well – this will help prevent dampness and mold from accumulating over time. It is also recommended that an extractor fan unit be installed, as this will help remove as much moisture as possible from your bathroom after each use.
Mold not only causes a bathroom to look unsightly; over time; it can cause a number of respiratory conditions or even allergies to develop if ignored. If the ceiling or any walls in your bathroom are going to be painted, a mold repellant paint that has been specifically designed for use in bathroom environments should be used – this will go a long way in helping to prevent mold from developing on these surfaces.